General Manager is responsible for leading and managing the restaurant, including all other managers. They are responsible for different tasks such as restaurant marketing strategies, recruiting and hiring restaurant staff, training, overseeing food quality, developing menus as well as greeting and serving restaurant guests.
Job description contain the following duties and responsibilities:
- Pleases customers by providing a pleasant dining experience.
- Accomplishes restaurant human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Achieves restaurant operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends; determining system improvements; and implementing change.
- Meets restaurant financial objectives by forecasting requirements, preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions.
- Plans menus by consulting with chefs, estimating food costs and profits, and adjusting menus.
- Controls costs by reviewing portion control and quantities of preparation; minimizing waste; and ensuring high quality of preparation.
- Avoids legal challenges by conforming to the regulations of the alcoholic beverage commission.
- Maximizes bar profitability by ensuring portion control and monitoring accuracy of charges.
- Publicizes the restaurant by designing and placing advertisements; inviting food editors to review the restaurant; contacting local, regional, and national magazines with feature ideas; and encouraging local businesses to hold social events at the restaurant.
- Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy environment by establishing, following, and enforcing sanitation standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations; securing revenues; developing and implementing disaster plans; maintaining security and sprinkler systems; and maintaining parking lot and walkways.
- Maintains ambiance by controlling lighting, background music, linen service, glassware, dinnerware, and utensil quality and placement; and monitoring food presentation and service.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.